Proposal: New AKITA INU logo

Background

After many requests to change back to the original AKITA INU logo, a poll was raised in our main Telegram chat room to get more guidance from the investors on this topic.

Link to the poll: Telegram: Contact @akitatoken

All investors had the opportunity to clarify if they wanted a new logo, and to pick one of the following options:

1. Design a new logo that looks much more like the original logo.

2. Design a new meme logo, but it should not look like the original logo.

3. The new logo should not be a meme logo.

This proposal is created as only 15% of the investors who participated in the poll wanted to keep the current logo. 53% voted for designing a new logo that looks much more similar to the original AKITA INU logo (when compared with the current logo).

Original logo

Current logo

Execution

Proceed with creating a new logo. The logo should look similar to the original AKITA INU logo. However, it should not be identical to the old logo (especially considering the old logo was based on a shiba rather than an Akita). It is important the new logo has a stronger resemblance to the Akita inu dog breed.

Have an artist design the new logo exclusively for AKITA INU, so the AKITA DAO has the full IP rights to use it as a cryptocurrency logo.

Procure the logo from this artist: Rexcanor - Photographer profile

The same artist designed the original AKITA INU logo, as can be seen here: Japanese Dog Shiba Inu Logo Design Template Stock Vector - Illustration of head, cartoon: 187229365

The new logo should be in the same style as the original logo, and it should only show the face of the dog.

Ask the artist to use this photo to combine the characteristics of the original logo and the Akita dog breed.

Budget

1500 USD

For this budget, we are allowed to ask for many adjustments during the sketching phase of the design process. Once the sketch is approved, the artist will proceed with the final design of the logo. Additional budget would be required if we want to make adjustments after the sketching phase.

Timeline

A snapshot proposal can be created on May 14. If you want us to adjust any of the content in this proposal, please provide feedback before 5PM UTC on May 14.

Once submitted, voting will be possible for a period of 7 days.

The artist has confirmed he intends to be ready to start sketching shortly after the DAO requests him to start working.

Final note on timeline: As the AKITA INU logo has already been changed before, this proposal is also requesting that we have to keep the new logo for a minimum of two years.

4 Likes

Please note everyone - execution for this proposal needs at least +70% postive/yes votes .

While this is a very cute pup, I feel like just like the original logo, this one also shares heavy Shiba Inu traits, I’m getting Shiba Akita mix at best, not 100% Akita

Can you share some images of various Akita profile that you think are better and maybe more universal? Front, side, full body, etc?

I understand both Shiba and Akita can have a very similar look, sort of like a big brother little brother look like this

Now that I think about it, there’s a couple of factors that actually make a difference in how an Akita looks, male/female, age, color. Here is a random Akita I found online

Here is the Akita from the movie Hachi

Here is a picture I just took of my Akita lol

My first reaction is how close the Akita head shapes are in the pictures I posted compared to a different shape of the pup in the original proposal. Thoughts?

1 Like

It does seem like Akita come in far more colors than Shiba, but I don’t think that’s something we can get across in the logo design so that the dog is clearly an Akita. This was an example, and I think they are very similar with subtle nuance:
Colors
Akita: Red, Fawn, White, Brown, Black
Shiba: Red, Tan, Cream, Sesame, Black

There also seems to be a difference between Japanese Akita vs America Akita in these factors, but the one I notice most was ear-shape. I tried searching for some other qualifiers and found this interesting, which backs up your thoughts on focusing on the head shape:

Akita Inu vs Shiba Inu: Profile

Though there’s a similarity in looks between the Shiba and the Akita, the Shiba Inu has a more foxy look about it. It has a tapering muzzle, small, erect, triangular ears, and dark triangle-shaped eyes with black rims. The Akita’s muzzle is strong and broad, though it has a soft mouth that is good for retrieving waterfowl. It also has triangular, erect ears but they are positioned over the dog’s eyes and in line with the nape of its neck. The Akita looks much like the bear it was bred to hunt.

I think we need to boil this down into actionable details for the artist to follow, or for our critique when they come back with sketches – does this sound right:

• Soft mouth (a little more “droopy”)
  • Wider nose (less fox-like)
  • Larger ears, triangular, more in line with the neck
  • Rounder ears, closer to appearance of a bear. I think this puts it more in the Japanese Akita side of appearance, and further away from the fox-like Shiba Inu appearance.

The ears seem like the real tricky characteristic – but I’m not finding a lot of American Akitas that really stick out in ear shape being different than a Shiba (aside from the sheer size of them!)

2 Likes

Three more comparisons of Japanese Akita on left, American Akita on right. Final version is Japanese Akita with probably the most “Bear-like” ears of any example:

1 Like

Some illustration

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree certain characteristics are tricky. Is it safe to say that we all like the look of the Akita in the movie Hachi?

If so why not use him as a reference?

Trini, we are making a portrait logo focusing on the face. I think it’s better if you use references of dogs with a similar angle.

I recommend using the photo in the proposal draft plus this one:

Bonus: This photo is part of our history. It’s from the article about the Akita inu and Gitcoin saga.

Using references from the Hachi movie is not a bad idea, but please think about the angle.

3 Likes

What I want to say is not to cling to a particular characteristic. Cartoon avatars should showcase their wonderful agility. Let the designer seize the subtle expressions and design!

Zoom in on a particular highlight to make it appear at first glance that it is an Akita dog, and it is a cute cartoon avatar!

1 Like

I think he got the angles right lol

1 Like

I have reached out to the people who provided feedback here on Discourse and confirmed the following proposal can be added on Snapshot.

Background

After many requests to change back to the original AKITA INU logo, a poll was raised in our main Telegram chat room to get more guidance from the investors on this topic.

Link to the poll: Telegram: Contact @akitatoken

All investors had the opportunity to clarify if they wanted a new logo, and to pick one of the following options:

1. Design a new logo that looks much more like the original logo.
  2. Design a new meme logo, but it should not look like the original logo.
  3. The new logo should not be a meme logo.

This proposal is created as only 15% of the investors who participated in the poll wanted to keep the current logo. 53% voted for designing a new logo that looks much more similar to the original AKITA INU logo (when compared with the current logo).

Original logo

Current logo

Execution

Proceed with creating a new logo. The logo should look similar to the original AKITA INU logo. However, it should not be identical to the old logo (especially considering the old logo was based on a shiba rather than an Akita). It is important the new logo has a stronger resemblance to the Akita inu dog breed.

Have an artist design the new logo exclusively for AKITA INU, so the AKITA DAO has the full IP rights to use it as a cryptocurrency logo.

Procure the logo from this artist: Rexcanor - Photographer profile

The same artist designed the original AKITA INU logo, as can be seen here: Japanese Dog Shiba Inu Logo Design Template Stock Vector - Illustration of head, cartoon: 187229365

The new logo should be in the same style as the original logo, and it should only show the face of the dog.

Ask the artist to use these two photos to combine the characteristics of the original logo and the Akita dog breed.

Budget

1500 USD

For this budget, we are allowed to ask for many adjustments during the sketching phase of the design process.

Before we initiate the sketching phase, the community will be invited to be part of a reference group. The reference group will provide feedback during the sketching phase.
Instructions and invite to the reference group will be communicated in Telegram: Contact @akitatoken

Once the sketch is approved, the artist will proceed with the final design of the logo. Before that, the DAO will be invited to vote on the top sketches selected by the reference group.

Additional budget would be required if we want to make any adjustments after confirming which sketch we want to proceed with.

Timeline

Once the proposal has been submitted on Snapshot, voting will be possible for a period of 7 days.

Final note on timeline: As the AKITA INU logo has already been changed before, this proposal is also requesting that we have to keep the new logo for a minimum of two years.

Voting options
For this proposal to be approved, the majority of the people voting need to select ‘Yes’.

Voting ‘no’ means you do not support this proposal in its current form.

Please select one of these two options:

• Yes.
  • No.
1 Like

Logo proposal update :
official proposal/request has been submitted to our snapshot.

For this proposal to be approved, the majority of the people voting need to select ‘Yes’.(+50%)

Voting ‘No’ means you do not support this proposal in its current form.

Here is the link to proposal : Snapshot

Voting period : 7days !

1 Like

Everyone, can start voting using their HACHI tokens.
Voting does not cost any tokens .

The interface will count the number of HACHI tokens you have in your wallet, but it will only do so to calculate how strong your voting power is. Participation is gas-less :heart:

1 Like

Voting period for AKITA new logo proposal ended . Result :

Totally, 16 people voted for it , 14k HACHI for No , and 5.9k for Yes.

So as voting result , DAO decided not to go ahead with this proposal . It will be re-submitted once proposal got more supporters .

Discussion is now open again

We don’t need new logo . Please look for the proposal i created . We need to move on for that proposal